Tuesday, July 16, 2013

rest in the acceptance



She looks all around, a frown etched so deep in that smooth little face, eyes scanning the crowd.  Chin down, she searches as fast as she can - back and forth.

There is concern.  Maybe anger.  Maybe sadness.  But more than anything, a longing.  A longing to see that one face that will stop her in her tracks.  

Finally, it happens: we make eye contact.  Her innocent little mind registers the face, the body, the location.  She has finally found me.  Her eyes light up as her head tilts back and her mouth softens.  She seems to illuminate from within.  You can almost see the hope coming forth from her open mouthed smile.  All frustration, fear, sadness and insecurity are gone.

She knows I am here.  She knows I am watching her.  And with one simple smile, she knows I am proud of her.


The Spirit you received does not make you slaves,

so that you live in fear again;
rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.
And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

--Romans 8:15

I realize that I am constantly scanning the crowd.  The little girl in me searches for the one that will answer my questions:

"Am I doing well?"
"Am I loved?"
"Am I accepted?"

It's that smile of encouragement that strips away all fear.  That nod of approval that seems to take the weight of the world off my shoulders.  The insecurities, the confusion dissipates when our eyes meet. 

So take rest, little one.  Release all that intensity that makes you frown and keep your chin down.  Rest in his acceptance.


No comments:

Post a Comment